Chronological Bible 2010 Facebook Blogspot

Anyone in the Facebook Chronological Bible Reading Group is free to post! If you would like to post- let me know and I'll set you up as an 'author'.

Sunday, June 27, 2010

June 27

I'd like to devote more time to studying Micah. Maybe next year. What a beautiful little book. Only 7 chapters, Micah is one of the minor prophets, designated such because of the length of his book, not the significance. He is one of 12 minor prophets in the OT. Some preach in the city, some on the countryside, some to Judah, some to Israel, some to both. All have basically the same message and the same message as the major prophets- repent and serve God. Each in the their own way reminds Israel of it's unique history of rescue from bondage in Egypt and how God has sustained them every step of the way. Micah is a country prophet and his message is mostly to Judah (remember the tribes split after Solomon with most going to the northern kingdom of Israel).

Even reading in chronological order it's hard to keep track of everything that is going on with the two kingdoms (especially that it seems that most of the darn kings start with "J"). If you, like me, need a little more visual reference, here is a handy table of the kings and what prophet(s) ministered during their time. I especially like the column that tells how many years it's been since Solomon since my brain just cannot compute things in BC (I could never get the hang of the fact that 750BC comes BEFORE 720BC for example)
http://www.spiritrestoration.org/Church/Timelines/TimelIne_of_Minor_and_Major_Prophets_in_the_Old_Testament.htm

I would just like to highlight a few treasures from Micah:

We already talked about Micah's amazing prophesy that the Messiah would be born in Bethlahem Ephrathah (there was more than one Bethahem- this leaves no doubt which one it would be) in Micah 5:1-5.

Micah 6:6-8  With what shall I come before the LORD and bow down beofre the exalted God?.........
what does the LORD require of you?
To act justly and to love mercy and walk humbly with you God.

Micah 7:7
But as for me, I watch in hope (confident expectation) for the LORD,
I wait for God my Savior;
my God will hear me.

Micah 7:18-19
Who is a God like you,
who pardons sin and forgives the transgression
of the remnant of his inheritance?
You do not stay angry forever
but delight to show mercy.
You will again have compassion on us;
you will tread our sins underfoot
and hurl all our iniquities into the depths of the sea.

No comments: