Chronological Bible 2010 Facebook Blogspot

Anyone in the Facebook Chronological Bible Reading Group is free to post! If you would like to post- let me know and I'll set you up as an 'author'.

Sunday, April 4, 2010

March 31-April 3

I love how in the Chronological Bible that the Psalms that are associated with the event are interwoven into it. It really gives them new life. Since I am getting behind, I am combining a few days here. I thought seriously about taking my own advice and 'starting with today' but I just could not leave these stories behind. There is too much treasure there.

First my thoughts turn to Jonathan. He would have been the next in line as king. Yet he recognizes David's annointing and future kingship, just like everyone else he comes in contact with. He could have had a form of friendship with David and offered to save him and put in a high position when he himself became king. But he goes way beyond that and completely denies any right to the throne and does everything he can to help David.

Then David- no matter how many times I read the story I am amazing by his reverence for King Saul, the man out to kill him and the man. He has already been handpicked to fill the king's shoes, many have affirmed it. But when given the chance to harm him, he is distressed that he even cut off the edge of his garment. En Gedi is an amazing place by the way. I wish we could have gone there but we did drive by. It is a beautiful, tropical place in the middle of the desert. Just like David's behavior is a breath of fresh air amidst the evil King Saul.

David understood that although you may be at odds (an understatement) with a leader that you respect their God given authority and position. I think that we have completely lost sense in our day. I know that in the Clinton era I found myself telling the same lude jokes as the rest of the world about his behavior. But we are told to respect those in authority over us. "Let every soul be subject to the governing authorities," wrote the apostle Paul. "For there is no authority except from God, and the authorities that exist are appointed by God" (Romans 13:1). If ever there were reason to rebel against authority, it would be when the Romans were cruely oppressing them. Yet the apostle Paul, concentrates his life on spiritual matters and when he does come before them on various occasions, he treats them with upmost respect. We (self included) can certainly take a great lesson from that and take the opportunity to be a refreshing oasis in a desert of bad attitutes.
My friend climbing up the desert fortress Masada, just a few miles from the above picture of En Gedi.

No comments: