Chronological Bible 2010 Facebook Blogspot

Anyone in the Facebook Chronological Bible Reading Group is free to post! If you would like to post- let me know and I'll set you up as an 'author'.

Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Feb 5

All these different sacrifices were getting a bit jumbled up in my brain. I thought that this chart was very helpful.
http://home.earthlink.net/~lionlamb/SacrificialSystem.html (note to my friend Laurie-look what's in the URL- your favorite-lion/lamb :)

I was suprised how many of them were voluntary. It makes sense if you think about it......the only thing you HAVE to do is have your sins forgiven, but of course there are much richer blessings to be had when you fellowship with the Lord.

One of our members had a question about the first born being consecrated to the Lord. In today's reading is where God substitute the Levites (decendants of Jacob's son Levi) in place of the first born. In Num. 3:12-13. They are to serve in the tabernacle.

After we trudge through the gifts that each tribe brought (all the same) we find God talking to Moses from the Ark of the Covenant. Wow! I thought to myself, I don't ever remember Him speaking to Moses there. He must be going to say something very profound. What He says is to tell Aaron that when he lights the seven lamps that they are to light the area in front of the lampstand.  Num 8:1-2 Um.......isn't this obvious? Or is it just me? If you've looked at any of the tabernacle pics, you know that if you are facing the Holy of Holies, the menorah (or candelabra, or lampstand- all the same word) is to your left, against the wall. The area is not that big and there are no windows. I'm just not sure why He tell Moses something so obvious. If the lamps could be situated so that they could shine more in one direction than the other, why would you face it toward the wall?

 I do know that in the New Testament book of Revelation the lampstand is a symbol for the church (Rev 1:20). The church (lampstand) is not the light. Jesus is the light of the world John 8:12. The church (lampstand) just gives a platform for the light to be seen in the world. The light was never to go out, and was fueled by pure olive oil, a symbol of the Holy Spirt. Perhaps He was really speaking to us, centuries later, about making sure we are reflecting the light of Jesus. Maybe if we are not reaching out to hurting people and letting others know about Jesus, our light is 'facing toward the wall".

Here is a picture of the menorah for the Third Temple (pure gold worth over 3 million dollars). By the way did you notice the group responsible for carrying the furniture in the tabernacle was not given any carts. They were to carry everything. Num 7:6-9. How would you like to schlep (good jewish word) through the dessert with this on your back?? I assume the little things on the top are the actual lamps.



2 comments:

starrgazer said...

Thank you for all you do with your blogging, Jody. It is not only helpful and informative, it is very uplifting. Gotta love the lion and the lamb. I know that the reference to the lion and the lamb is not an actual Bible verse, but rather a juxtaposition of a few verses, but I love it. It is a very meaningful metaphor for my relationship with my Savior on so many different levels.

Jody said...

You're welcome. I enjoy doing it. I feel like Julie in the movie "Julia and Julie"...I get excited when people read and comment :)