Chronological Bible 2010 Facebook Blogspot

Anyone in the Facebook Chronological Bible Reading Group is free to post! If you would like to post- let me know and I'll set you up as an 'author'.

Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Feb 3-Leviticus 8-10

Leviticus 8-10

  I had posted the video  on our site from YouTube about the Jews wanting to build the Third Temple. They had just gotten the crown made of pure gold 'with all the latest research as historically accurate as possible'. I was interested in it but I had the nagging feeling I missed something in the reading because I didn't exactly remember it being a gold crown. Then I really looked into it today (we are 'to search the scriptures to see if it is so') and realized it was it was supposed to be a turban with a gold plate, not a gold crown. Ex 28:36-38. That got me to wondering if the linen turban represented the humanity/humility and obviously the gold reprents holiness. I wonder if the linen part got left out gradually or when that came to be. I don't think that I would want to be messing around with God's design!


Nadab and Abihu are struck dead for offering unauthorized fire. It follows right on the heels of the fire of God consuming the burnt offerering on the alter, so it makes you wonder if they weren't like "Dude, that was freaking awesome" let's see it again. And they fill their censer with fire that is not from the alter as commanded, perhaps it is from their own home and the result is not good. Maybe they thought 'fire is fire' but if the fire was not associated with the alter it was not associated with the sin offering. We are given a little hint that maybe alchohol was involved since Lev 10:8-9 now commands not to drink any wine or fermented drink in the Tabernacle (Tent of Meeting). Contrary to Aaron's excuses when the calf 'jumped out of the fire' he "remained silent" Lev 10:3.

I was a little confused by what was meant in Lev 10:19-20 about Aaron and his sons not eating the eating the goat as instructed. The only commentary I could find confirmed my suspision that it was because he was in mourning for his sons. As high priest he was not able to do any of the 'usual' mourning rituals like tearing his clothes but he just could bring himself to eat. The rule about High Priests not tearing their clothes is clearly violated, by the way, during Jesus 'trial' Mark 14:63.

I just can't help but contrast all the 'pomp and circumstance' in mind with Jesus who comes with none of these religious trappings, hangs out with stinky fisherman and is in so many ways so ordinary. Before He came all the worship had to be so perfect and so exact and so prescribed and ritualistic. I can't help but think how beautiful and spontaneous and sincere the acts of worship were in the NT. Like the woman who broke the alabaster box and washed the Lord's feet with her tears. Luke 7:38-49. I am so glad I was born on 'this side' of the cross. But having said that we still need to be careful that we treat God as Holy and worship and pray in the manner that He prescribes. I cringe sometimes when I hear people say things like, "The big man upstairs" or that they can 'worship God in their own way" often saying they worship Him out in nature or on a fishing boat. Although God gives us tremendous amount of freedom we still need to remember to do things HIS way and not ours.

No comments: