Chronological Bible 2010 Facebook Blogspot

Anyone in the Facebook Chronological Bible Reading Group is free to post! If you would like to post- let me know and I'll set you up as an 'author'.

Saturday, February 13, 2010

Feb 13

Moses counted 601,730 fighting men.  Conservatively, adding women and children you are looking at 2,406,920 Isrealites!!. The population of Houston TX is estimated at 2,208,180.  Only three other US cities have larger populations (Chicago: 2.8 million, LA 3.8 million and NY NY 8.2 million). So while the counting is tedious and sometimes boring to read it does yeild incredible perspective. I say WOW!!

I skimmed yesterday’s reading a bit due to time constraints, so I reread some of it today. There is always so much in each passage! A couple things struck me that I thought I would share. It is easy to be critical of the Israelites disobedience. But this is the second time that we see them go ‘above and beyond’ with their giving. Earlier they gave so much toward the tabernacle that Moses had to tell them to stop Ex 35:5-6. Now after they have tediously counted their spoils (can you imagine counting 337,500 sheep??!!), they realize after their battle that ‘not one their number is missing’ and they bring an offering and they bring an offering voluntarily Num 31:49-52 (not commanded that I can see) of the gold they collected weighing 16,750 shekels. That’s a lot of gold! (a shekel is roughly a half an ounce. Today's gold prices are over $1000 per ounce)  I also missed in my first reading through that they killed Balaam. Interesting.

While I was looking for the verses about the Israelites giving to the tabernacle a few verses struck me. They are especially beautiful in the Net Bible translation: "Let everyone who has a willing heart bring an offering to the Lord" Ex 35:5. 'Everyone whose heart stirred him to action and everyone whose spirit was willing came and brought the offering for the Lord for the work of the tent of meeting, Ex 35:21-22. They brought so much they had to tell them to stop. I've heard it said that if all God's people gave to the cause of furthering His kingdom the entire world could be evangalized in no time! I know that I am also very humbled by stories my "daughter" (former exchange student) tells me that in Korea, if you decide to be a missionary, it takes about 2 WEEKS to raise your support!! We are all "Numbered" amongs God people, let's stir our hearts to action and give with willing hearts toward His work!!





No comments: