Chronological Bible 2010 Facebook Blogspot

Anyone in the Facebook Chronological Bible Reading Group is free to post! If you would like to post- let me know and I'll set you up as an 'author'.

Saturday, March 27, 2010

March 26-27

If you've known me long, you know the first thing I want to know about a story is WHERE it took place. I don't why....that's just me (you read the gospels differently when you know that Nazerath is 90 miles from Bethlahem and Bethlamem is few miles from Jerumsalem). So I wanted to know where the story of Samuel took place. I didn't find a super good map, but from what I can tell, the hill country of Ephriam is that area north of Jerusalem. And Shilo is somewhere in that area. I did find it marked on a map, but I remember our guide telling us that are not exactly sure where is was (although in that general area). Intersting that we haven't heard a lot about Shilo (in Israel the prounounce it like Sheila, but with an "o"). You would think that after conquering their enemies, you would hear a detailed description of setting up the center of religious worship, getting the tabernacle all set up and ready........Unless I missed something it's not mentioned much. I'm thinking that this is exactly the reason we are seeing so much idolatry and sin. They did not put first things first. A struggle for all of us. Self included. (I so would rather be scrapbooking on my new program! Don't mean to belabor that, but just letting you know that I know it is not easy).

Back to Hannah. It seems that each time a woman is struggling with not concieving that there is bigger story and her son turns out to be quite amazing. And what a refreshing story after the disgusting one we just experienced. God always keeps a faithful remnant. It makes you wonder where she got this knowlege, every one around here is wicked and even those who are supposed to be the priests are terribly wicked. And I would certainly have second, third and fourth thoughts about leaving the young boy with the priest who thought I was drunk when I was praying and couldn't even raise his own sons. But in great faith, Hannah takes Samuel to be brought up by Eli. Don't you just get a lump in your throat at Hannah making him a little robe every year? Can't you just picture him in his little robe and linen ephod? Isn't the Lord gracious to put something so sweet and tender in the Bible. (Oh, now I've done it- my eyes are getting moist!) How interesting (I had never thought of this) that he was allowed to sleep in the temple? (I assume it was not yet permanant, so maybe it would still be the tabernacle?). No precedent for that....

I just love the story of Dagon the 'god' falling flat on his face before the ark. And it is a very interesting comment that is made by the Philistines that they have asked for advise and they say not to harden your heart like Pharoh did! There may not be any 'offical' Egyptian record of this but the fame of it certainly spread! The story of the ark being returned is interesting also. I am suprised that the Philistines were able to put things in it but the Israelites were struck down for looking inside.

All in all, a story of hope and renewed dedication to the Lord after such sickening wickedness. And the best is yet to come.....the story of the boy that Samuel himself will annoint as king- David.

No comments: