Chronological Bible 2010 Facebook Blogspot

Anyone in the Facebook Chronological Bible Reading Group is free to post! If you would like to post- let me know and I'll set you up as an 'author'.

Sunday, January 17, 2010

Another look at Geneologies (this is interesting)

Always learning something new! As you read through lists of ((boring)) geneologies keep this in mind: there are NO wasted words in the Bible.

You may have noticed that in the Bible it is often noted that the names have meaning. Such as Isaac means laughter. But ALL the names have meaning in Hebrew and if you take them in order, you often learn something amazing. There are reportedly many of these through the Bible. I will post them as I learn them.

If you take the meaning of the names of the generations from Adam to Noah, it is the gospel message: (there are more than one meaning for some of the names, so the 'important' one is highlighted)

  • Adam- man/red earth
  • Seth-appointed/replacement
  • Enosh-mortal
  • Kenan- possession/sorrow
  • Mahalel-Blessed God
  • Jared-shall come down
  • Encoch-teaching
  • Methuselah-his death shall bring
  • Lamech- dispairing
  • Noah-rest

Put it together in a sentence and add a couple small words:

Man is appointed mortal sorrow. Our blessed God shall come down, teaching and his death will bring dispairing, then rest.

And as I sit and edit on my word processor and correct my spelling for the third time- I am again and still in awe (I know I just mentioned this....) of the men who copied the Bible by hand. They had such attention to detail that if they were ONE letter off they threw away the entire page, no matter where they were.

No comments: