Chronological Bible 2010 Facebook Blogspot

Anyone in the Facebook Chronological Bible Reading Group is free to post! If you would like to post- let me know and I'll set you up as an 'author'.

Saturday, January 30, 2010

Jan 31 Ex 32-34

(The path leading up to modern day Mt. Sinai)
The first thing that struck me in today's reading is that God tells Moses that "Your people" are up to no good. If you are married with children, haven't you often said to your husband or wife, "YOUR son/daughter did such and such". And can't you just FEEL how angry God is? Just leave me alone and let me steam! I'll make a new nation for you. But amazingly Moses intercedes for them.

I had not noticed before about Moses grinding up the calf and making the Israelites drink it. I couldn't find any real information on this but the best I can tell the idea is what we would think of "you made your bed, now lie in it". One guy said the idol was no better or worse coming out the 'other end' than it was in the first place :)  I did just have a thought though...maybe because it (the gold) had been defiled in making an idol, maybe Moses wanted to make sure that it was not used for any other purpose such as making the furniture in the tabernacle. They must have had a LOT of gold with them!!

It is also interesting to me that Aaron is not punished. He went on to be the High Priest. I assume, although we are not told, that Moses probably especially interceded for him. Or perhaps he was one of the first ones in line when Moses asked "who is for the Lord". I assume that he totally repented since, like I said, he went on to become High Priest. I guess that's encouraging to those us (all) who mess up. He certainly did not admit his mistake in the begining when Moses confronted him! I just threw the gold in the fire and this is what popped out!! Sounds logical......

There a some really beautiful parts to this story. God talking to Moses like a friend. Joshua lingering in the tent of meeting (keep your eye on him, he will become great) and Moses begging God to go with them or forget the whole thing. Our life would not be worth going forward with if God did not go with us.
A chapel on the top of Mt Sinia where they believe that God gave Moses the 10 Commandments and in the back of the chapel is where they believe the 'cleft of the rock' is where God hid Moses and let His glory pass by him.


This is not how I wanted the above verses to appear, but I'm working on it :) This tiny bit of "programming" I had to do to get that far convinced me (not that I needed convincing) that I could never be a computer programer! Headache!!

1 comment:

MamaTod said...

"He hideth my soul in the cleft of the rock,
That shadows a dry, thirsty land;
He hideth my life in the depths of His love,
And covers me there with His hand,
And covers me there with His hand."

Fanny Crosby

And not only covers us, but declares who He is to us. Amazing.