Chronological Bible 2010 Facebook Blogspot

Anyone in the Facebook Chronological Bible Reading Group is free to post! If you would like to post- let me know and I'll set you up as an 'author'.

Friday, January 22, 2010

Jan 22.Exodus 1-5

There is so much in today's passage but the most important thing that struck me was God telling Moses "I am that I am"

Today in the local newspaper there was an article in the religion section about a person of the Bahai faith who said Jesus was "One of his favorite spiritual messangers". Well, 'one of the favorites' is not an option. Either Jesus is God or He is a blasphamous lunatic. Jesus said "Before Abraham was, I am"(John 8:58). And they knew what He meant by that! They knew EXACTLY who I am was! And it was such a Holy name it was very rarely ever spoken. They were so upset at Him claiming to be God that they picked up stones to stone Him but He slipped away.

If you are interested in reading more about God's personal/sacred name (I am/Jehovah/Yahweh/YHVH etc) here's a great website- it all gets a little complicated, but I find it fascinating. http://www.hebrew4christians.net/Names_of_G-d/YHVH/yhvh.htm

____________________________________________________________________
Other details that sent me looking on the web for these answers:

  • The Medianites are descendants of Abraham's later wife, Keturah.
  • Mt Horab, Mt Sinai and the 'mountain of God' can be used pretty much interchangably.

What was the whole God tried to kill Moses thing about? I have researched it before but have run out of time for tonight. I do remember it's easily available on the web and has to do with the fact (obviously) that Moses did not circumsise his sons.

No comments: