Chronological Bible 2010 Facebook Blogspot

Anyone in the Facebook Chronological Bible Reading Group is free to post! If you would like to post- let me know and I'll set you up as an 'author'.

Sunday, May 16, 2010

May 15-16

The Name- I promised to do a little research on the Name. It caught my eye since it was capitalized and (being the weirdo that my kids think I am- I had just watched a 10 part series on "In search of the Jewish Jesus" about the names of God). Usually all it takes is a little googling and other people have had the same quetion. Apparently, I am the only one curious about the Name. I had to resort to looking in a Lexicon, which I am not all together familiar with...but I think the jist is that it tells you the Hewbrew and in what other contexts the word has occured and the definition. It defined it as the "famous or renowned name" and the Hewbrew is שֵׁם . I don't know what that first symbol is, probobly the famous or renowned part. But that second letter is shin, the very letter we talked about yesterday. Jews sometimes make that letter above  their head, on their forehead, or with their hands (like that Star Trek guy did- he's Jewish-my son in law would faint that I don't know which one). In this picture, a wonderful Jewish girl is showing me how to use a prayer shawl and make the "Shin" sign on my forehead as I wrap myself in the promises of God.

As I was rereading some of the passages, it struck me that Solomon went before the Lord at the Tent of Meeting and sacrificed a THOUSAND burnt offerings to him and THEN the Lord blessed him with wisdom.  Many churches and TV programs have gotten out of balance teaching if you give that you get...and that's a bad motive and a bad teaching....but I know as a parent that I am often looking for ways to bless my children. And ALL the more so when I see a right heart and attitude. God DOES want to bless us! I think the church has also often been out of balance with being overly frugal at times and pinching pennies till they scream.......Hey our God owns EVERYTHING!!!! Yes we we should be good stewards and not wasteful and not ridiculously extravagent and ESPECIALLY we would should look out for the poor and needy. But does it look like Solomon skrimped on anything on the temple? I don't think so!

 Yesterday's passage talked about Solomon building his own palace. I think I've shared this pic before but it still just fascinates me. It is part of the retaining wall of Solomon's palace overlooking the valley. I am still just in awe that it is over 3000 years old. It has only been uncovered within the last few months. They are having a heck of a time with the digging because it is surrounded by Palastinian homes. But they have gotten this far and continue to work as much as they can.

This whole period when Solomon reigns is the pinnacle of Israel's history. They are at their spiritual, political and geographical peak. And they have peace from their enemies around about. Enjoy it while it lasts!!

No comments: