Chronological Bible 2010 Facebook Blogspot

Anyone in the Facebook Chronological Bible Reading Group is free to post! If you would like to post- let me know and I'll set you up as an 'author'.

Monday, May 17, 2010

May 17

Wow, this is my 115th Chronological Bible Blog. Not that that is a significant number, but it caught my eye. That's a lot of blogs. Glad you guys have not tuned me out yet and that you give me positive reinforcement just about the time I wonder if anyone reads this.

I was interested in Prov 4, when it talks about Solomon being taught by and gaining wisdom from his father. David was certainly not an exemplary father to his other son's. In fact, we are specifically told that of his other sons he never even said, "Why do you act that way?". I wonder if Solomon was his favorite; if Bethsheba was favorite or if he was still feeling bad about Uriah. Who knows, just curious. At any rate, Solomon did learn some wisdom from his father.

We have heard, more than once already in our reading, that the fear of the Lord is the begining of wisdom. A healthy respect, awe and admiration. If you don't have that, you don't even have the foundaton of wisdom. And don't we love to 'lean on our own understanding"?  The longer I live, and the more I get to know God, the more I believe that there are 'pat' answers for things. Yes, there are biblical principles that we should go by. We should get godly counsel, but I really think that God wants us to lean on Him and His wisdom and to seek Him with all our hearts. I have a relative who is dealing with her son being gay. It is a heartbreak for her. But she has wisely saught God and not 'formulas'. (Should she allow him to live in her house, how should she treat the 'boyfriend' etc). There have been no magic answers. But her heart is right before God and she leaves the results to him. She prays and believes, attends support groups and above all loves. She doesn't sit around wringing her hands and she DOES set borders and boundries for him that she believes God has lead her to do. No easy answers. I'm glad that we have the ONE who knows all from begining to end. I sure would not want to try to figure things out by myself!

There is NO God like our God!!! He is everything!!

2 comments:

starrgazer said...

I enjoyed reading how Solomon asked God for wisdom. Have always heard the clique "wise as Solomon" or something like that, but did not realize how this wisdom came about. It is awe-inspiring to learn how much this request pleased God. Solomon didn't ask for riches, power, etc, but wisdom instead. I have greatly valued the virtue of wisdom in my life and it makes me feel blessed to know how much God values wisdom. Sometimes we find that we are more filled with the Spirit than we know. Not saying that I am wise, mind you, but I have always sought the wisdom of others. This virtue has been among the top most important to me.

Chronological Bible Thoughts 2010 said...

Even just valuing wisdom put you WAY ahead of most!!