Chronological Bible 2010 Facebook Blogspot

Anyone in the Facebook Chronological Bible Reading Group is free to post! If you would like to post- let me know and I'll set you up as an 'author'.

Saturday, May 1, 2010

Recovering..

Recovering my 2nd computer crash in just a couple weeks. First it was a virus and then I was experimenting with different media players and decided against them......tried to uninstall them and somehow it took a driver or some critical compentent of windows with it. Or perhaps it was some other weird failure that happened at the same time. I now have TWO external hard drives to back up to make DOUBLE sure I'm backed up (thousands of pics etc)

Aren't you glad the God is more reliable than technology and He is available 24/7? It is a full on battle putting Him first every day. It was a lot easier being 'just go to church and try to be a decent person' kind of Christian. But I wouldn't trade it for anything. At least I hope I wouldn't-hence the battle. So many things and thoughts and needs and entertainment and everything that just want to compete for your attention.

I had a lot of comments brewing in my mind about the Psalms we've been reading. I can't think of most of them right now except that I remember memorizing Ps 112 as a kid.

I lift up my eyes to the hills- Where does my help come from?
My help comes from the LORD, the Maker of heaven and earth.
He will not let your foot slip -
He who watches over you will not slumber;
Indeed, he who watches over Israel will neither slumber nor sleep.
The LORD watches over you
The LORD is your shade at your right hand;
The sun will not harm you by day, nor the moon by night.
The LORD will keep you from all harm -
He will watch over your life;
The LORD will watch over your coming and going
Both now and forevermore.

What just cracks me up is that my burning question at that time was: What does Israel have to do with anything?? I vaguely remembered that Jesus was born there, David fought Goliath there.....but I had the crazy egocentric idea that afterall, the Bible was written for US (not sure who I thought 'us' was- Christians? Americans?) so why would it say that? What amazed me even more is the answer I was given. I'm not even sure by whom, maybe my Sunday School teacher: Israel was God's chosen people but now they have been REPLACED by the church. Unwittingly as an young child I was introduced to what I now know is 'Replacement Theology".  Very sad. If you have been a victum of this teaching also I would encourage you to realize that God's promises are forever, including those made to Israel. He has miraculously preserved them as a nation and Israel as a self governing state is a miracle. Jews are coming to faith in Jesus Christ as their Messiah in record numbers. One of the programs that I DVR is called "In search of the Jewish Jesus". It is a beautfiul program that really bridges the OT and NT together.

Hopefully, I will be back on my regular blogging soon. It really helps me get more out of it and I hope that it does you too.

1 comment:

starrgazer said...

I love this Psalm. My grandmother said it helped her so much when she lost her father. She gave me a bookmark she had with this Psalm on it. It is cheap, thin cardstock, and really old, but one of my greatest treasures.